• 1 lb. extra-lean, ground sirloin
• 1 chopped onion (about 1 cup)
• 2 clove garlic minced OR
1 tsp. garlic
• 1 15-oz. canned, no-salt-added, or
low-sodium, tomato sauce
• 1 14.5-oz. canned, chopped, no-salt-
added, or low-sodium, tomatoes
• 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 16-oz. packaged, frozen mixed
vegetables (Any variety will do, so
pick your family’s favorite mix!)
• 1/3 cup brown rice
1. In a large pot, cook the meat, onion,
and garlic over medium heat until the
meat is done. Drain excess liquid. Add
the tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth,
mixed vegetables, and rice. Cover the
pot, allow the mixture to come to a boil,
reduce heat, and cook 35 minutes or
until rice is done.
• You can purchase garlic minced in a jar
to keep in your refrigerator for quick use.
• When you have leftover vegetables,
freeze in freezer zip-top bag to add to
soups and pastas.
Serves: 4 | Calories: 357 | Sodium : 186 mg | Cost Per Serving: $3.32
recipe is a great
way to get kids
into the kitchen
to help out.
WATCH A VIDEO OF THIS RECIPE.
Nutritional Analysis Per serving
Calories Per Serving 357
Total Fat 6. 6 g
Saturated 2. 4 g
Trans 0.3 g
Polyunsaturated 0.9 g
Monounsaturated 2. 5 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 186 mg
Carbohydrates 43 g
Fiber 7 g
Sugars 16 g
Protein 32 g
2 starch; 2 vegetable; 3 lean meat
Recipe copyright © 2015 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart®
Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.